- Labels are Mandatory in case of international garments trading. Without label no garments can be sold.
- Trade name, country of origin, size, care instruction etc. are shown mainly on the label.
- In good quality labels, information’s are woven by narrow loom (Jacquard is most common). The cut ends are folded inward & sewn with plain or zigzag machine.
- Low price labels are wider & are printed on a fabric made from thermoplastic fibre. The cut edge are heat sealed & supplied in roll form to the RMG industry.
The information required on clothing label is governed under 2 separate laws established by the Federal trade commission (FTC). The Textile & Wool Acts require that labels contain three pieces of information, Fibre content, country of origin & manufacturer, importer & dealer. The Care Labeling Rule requires that care instructions for the garments also be revealed.
If any garments contain a 100% fibre composition then ‘All’ can be used instead of 100%. AS example a garments contains 100% cotton. It can be written on the label as “All Cotton” instead of “100% Cotton”
Sometime, to increase the beauty of the garments, in the face side of the garments a special component is attached which is called “Motif”. Motif may contain company name, trade mark or any other symbol. In these conditions it is very tough to distinguish label & motif. But generally, motif is in the face/outer side of the garments. And labels are in the inner side.
- In maximum case, motifs are embroidered design & sometimes printed designs.
- Sometimes motifs are made with some thermoplastic fibre in it & that motifs are attached by ultrasonic welding. Motifs can be sewn also.
Difference between Label & Motif:
|1. Used in the inner side of the gmt.||1. Used in the outer side of the gmt.|
|2. Used for functional purpose.||2. Used for decorative purpose.|
|3. May be woven & printed.||3. Most common is embroidered.|
|4. Used zigzag/lock stitch to attach.||4. Used sewing or ultrasonic welding.|
|5. Must contain various information & instruction.||5. May contain symbols or brand names or logo etc.|