Category Archives: Apparel Merchandising
- Labels are Mandatory in case of international garments trading. Without label no garments can be sold.
- Trade name, country of origin, size, care instruction etc. are shown mainly on the label.
- In good quality labels, information’s are woven by narrow loom (Jacquard is most common). The cut ends are folded inward & sewn with plain or zigzag machine.
- Low price labels are wider & are printed on a fabric made from thermoplastic fibre. The cut edge are heat sealed & supplied in roll form to the RMG industry.
Time consumed in product development (PD) is the biggest issue. Approvals and bulk fabric in-house consumes approximately 75% of the total pre-production activity time and as far the most time-consuming task. Whole supply chain needs a system which
Reduces time spent in PD.
Co-ordinates internally for all pre production activity.
Producing a high quality clear-cut specifications for manufacturing and quality purposes
About 60% of the delays are at pre production stage and remaining at the production stage and reduction of such time can help the company in meeting the delivery dates on time. Controlling the delay would enable the company to reduce the deviation from the schedules lead time and honor the delivery date.
SCOPE OF CRITICAL PATH METHOD
Garment merchandising activities are characterized by people oriented function .
Interdependent activities are synchronized between succeeding and preceding activities to make process network .
Critical chain is the solution the garment industry is looking for as it is based on task dependency. Read the rest of this entry
For an effective production planning and regarding taking order from buyer, one should know the capacity of his facility and the load what he is going to put. An equilibrium in load and capacity is necessary to fulfill the order in right time and ensure a timely delivery.
Garments Analysis for Production Planning:
- Garments analysis is very important to make a production schedule or plan.
- The same time we should have the idea about the operator’s capacity for particular operation so that the specific job will be completed smoothly.
During garments analysis we should check the following points very carefully:
- Garments observations
- Key seam quality areas by operation, stitch & seam construction and SPI
- Point out how many operations are involved in the particular item.
- Accordingly make a diagram of machine lay out.
- Point out the critical operation where we can expect the “bottle neck” during production.
- Considering bottle neck allow extra machines for that operation to keep production flow as you expect.
- Find out the input operation and out put operation also.
Time study is a work measurement technique for recording the time of performing a certain specific job or its element carried out under specific condition and for analyzing the data so as to obtain the time necessary for an operator to carry out at a defined rate of performance.
Time study is a method of direct observation. A trained observer watches the job and records data as the job is being performed over a number of cycles.
Time study equipment:
The stop watch in general, two types of watch are used for time study.
- Fly back
Orders that have been sent to factories will be negotiated for price, delivery, quota and quality etc. The order negotiation between the buyer and the manufacturer is not always an easy task. The buyers are always trying to get this garments made at very low prices whilst the manufacturers are hoping they will get at least 2 per cent more than what they got last time for a similar style.