Md. Mostafa Khan
Dept. of Textile Engineering, KUET
- A Swiss inventor made this product & offered the Trade name VELCRO, comes from the French word VELOUR (velvet) & crochet.
- Consists of 2 nylon tapes, one having a surface of loops & the other having surface of hooks. When pressed together, two tapes adhere & cannot be opened by side way turn easily open by upward turns.
- This trimming is used instead of buttons or zippers.
- It is available in the market in roll form. Most common width 5/8” to 3/4”.
- Used in shoes, belts, money bags, bags, suitcase, sportswear, children, medical textiles etc.
- Mostly used in the garments of paralyzed persons’.
- ‘VELCRO’ is also a famous brand for Hook & Loop Fastening.
- Not suitable for light weight garments, due to high thickness.
- Efficiency reduces due to dirt, dust & materials deposited in the hook or loops.
- The possibility of fabric damage.
- Not comfortable to wear due to less flexibility of tape.
- Labels are Mandatory in case of international garments trading. Without label no garments can be sold.
- Trade name, country of origin, size, care instruction etc. are shown mainly on the label.
- In good quality labels, information’s are woven by narrow loom (Jacquard is most common). The cut ends are folded inward & sewn with plain or zigzag machine.
- Low price labels are wider & are printed on a fabric made from thermoplastic fibre. The cut edge are heat sealed & supplied in roll form to the RMG industry.
• In a warp knitted structure, each loop in the horizontal direction is made from a different thread and the number of threads used to produce such a fabric is at least equal to the number of loops in a horizontal row.
• In warp knitting, the thread runs thoroughly in a vertical direction
• In a weft knitted structure, a horizontal row of loops can be made by using one thread and thread runs in horizontal direction.
• Warp guides are thin metal plates drilled with a hollow in their lower end through which a warp end may be threaded if required, they are held together at their upper end in a metal lead and are spaced in it to the cam gauge as the m/c
• The leads in turn are attached to a guide bar so that the guides hang down from it with each one occupying a position at least midway between two adjacent needles in this position. The warp thread cannot be received by the needles and it will merely produce a straight vertical float. Read the rest of this entry
Book Name: Fundamentals and practices in colouration of textiles
By: J N Chakraborty
Publisher: WOODHEAD PUBLISHING INDIA PVT LTD