- A Swiss inventor made this product & offered the Trade name VELCRO, comes from the French word VELOUR (velvet) & crochet.
- Consists of 2 nylon tapes, one having a surface of loops & the other having surface of hooks. When pressed together, two tapes adhere & cannot be opened by side way turn easily open by upward turns.
- This trimming is used instead of buttons or zippers.
- It is available in the market in roll form. Most common width 5/8” to 3/4”.
- Used in shoes, belts, money bags, bags, suitcase, sportswear, children, medical textiles etc.
- Mostly used in the garments of paralyzed persons’.
- ‘VELCRO’ is also a famous brand for Hook & Loop Fastening.
- Not suitable for light weight garments, due to high thickness.
- Efficiency reduces due to dirt, dust & materials deposited in the hook or loops.
- The possibility of fabric damage.
- Not comfortable to wear due to less flexibility of tape.
- Labels are Mandatory in case of international garments trading. Without label no garments can be sold.
- Trade name, country of origin, size, care instruction etc. are shown mainly on the label.
- In good quality labels, information’s are woven by narrow loom (Jacquard is most common). The cut ends are folded inward & sewn with plain or zigzag machine.
- Low price labels are wider & are printed on a fabric made from thermoplastic fibre. The cut edge are heat sealed & supplied in roll form to the RMG industry.
• In a warp knitted structure, each loop in the horizontal direction is made from a different thread and the number of threads used to produce such a fabric is at least equal to the number of loops in a horizontal row.
• In warp knitting, the thread runs thoroughly in a vertical direction
• In a weft knitted structure, a horizontal row of loops can be made by using one thread and thread runs in horizontal direction.
• Warp guides are thin metal plates drilled with a hollow in their lower end through which a warp end may be threaded if required, they are held together at their upper end in a metal lead and are spaced in it to the cam gauge as the m/c
• The leads in turn are attached to a guide bar so that the guides hang down from it with each one occupying a position at least midway between two adjacent needles in this position. The warp thread cannot be received by the needles and it will merely produce a straight vertical float. Read the rest of this entry
Book Name: Fundamentals and practices in colouration of textiles
By: J N Chakraborty
Publisher: WOODHEAD PUBLISHING INDIA PVT LTD
To cut the pieces of garments from fabric lay accurately, following requirements should be fulfilled. Requirements are as following:
1. Precision of cut
2. Clean edge
3. Unfused edge
4. Support of the lay
5. Consistent cutting
1. Precision of cut: Garments cannot be assembled satisfactorily, and they may not fit the body correctly if they have not been cut accurately to the pattern shape. Precision of cut means cutting parts’ shape and size must be as per original sketch. It depends upon some factors-
• The method of cutting employed.
• The marker planning and marker making.
• In manual cutting using a knife, accuracy of cut, given good line definition, depends on appropriate, well maintained cutting knives and on the skill and motivation of the cutter.
• In both die cutting & computer-controlled cutting, the achievement of accuracy comes from the equipment.
• Skill of the operator.